Wednesday 2 April 2014

B is for Benevolence (A to Z Challenge)

Today's post will be quick, although I say that without having actually planned it so I don't know where it will lead...

Benevolence - The Quality of being well- meaning, kindness

When did the world become such a mean place to be? Is it that I was fortunate as a child not to be persecuted for my choices, background, race or religious choices or is it that as adults we find it difficult to accept that someone being different to you is not a bad thing. 

As a child, I was always opinionated and was willing to share my opinions without any probing but as I got older I realised that until I was able to refine the manner in which I offered my opinions I should probably keep them to myself because I didn't want to be considered rude or insensitive. However it seems that my mind worked in the complete opposite direction as most other adults because I've noticed that most adults whether it be family, friends or co-workers... there is a clear undercurrent of  resistance those that are different.



Not that I am saying as an adult, I don't have issues but I think the things which people are concerned about nowadays are unnecessary. Frankly I don't care what the person next to me is eating, whether they are homosexual or dating someone out of their race group because I think there is so much deeper Sh!t going on in the world that surely if someone is happy, it means there is only more positive energy to go around and I don't know about you... but I can definitely do with more good energy.

My point, by the way, is why be rude or condescending when an act of benevolence will make yours and the people around you feel better?

Also, I have noticed that so many people view niceties or politeness as a weakness however, in my mind, I'm not weak for taking others into consideration, I'm kind, I'm understanding and I am benevolent. 

How do you handle situations or people who's life choices make you uncomfortable? Or if you feel like you've made unique life choices, would you prefer for the people to ask you about it or act like it's not happening?


No comments: