Monday 15 December 2014

A Child Called It - Book Review

This is an old book and I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally sit down and get to it. If you've read it you'll understand how critical it is to be aware of what happens to the children around you.



It's not that I'm giving away some big secret plot this is a book about one child's abuse which is so inhumane that it leaves you feeling absolutely gutted about situations similar to this that go unnoticed.

For most of this book I felt confused as to how David's father and teachers and neighbours let the situation get so out of hand. I was the most angry with David's father which is funny because David's mother is the abuser I just felt that there is obviously more to the story probably more than David ever knew or would know so the story seems incomplete but the idea that a somewhat normal family switches to a disgusting lowlife alcoholic dictator run household.

I must say that this book made me reflect on the kids that I may have judged growing up because perhaps they weren't the cleanest or they were some shade of "abnormal" and the fact that I just judged them instead of seeking help or extending a helping hand...

There's so much to say about this book but I'd prefer for you to read it and then we discuss it ...

Here is my Goodreads review:

A Child Called A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Heartbreaking to read and yet I found myself filled with hope that despite what people throw at you, with faith you can push through.

I can't even explain how many times I felt physically sick reading about David's experiences and yet all I can say is that I'm inspired by him.

View all my reviews

This book just made me feel like I wasn't doing enough. Like, what was I doing that could make someone else's life better?
 

1 comment:

Kay R. said...

I read all sortsa books. I think this sounds pretty interesting esp because of what its about.