Sunday 2 June 2013

April/ May book review : Sing you home by Jodi Picoult

I've made a rule that after each Jodi Picoult book I read I'll read 2/3 frivolous  easy reads but after this book I'm going to go about 6 books before another book.

Firstly I have to say that I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult and her novels always push the boundary of what I think may be an easy answer or not. In fact for those that read her books will be well aware that she usually has you guessing the whole way through and therefore you are so hooked you can't seem to put the book down but in this novel, I felt similarly to my previous book review which forms part of my 2013 resolutions to read one book a month  on from Notting Hill to New York actually, in that the storyline was pulled further - unnecessarily.

In this book, the main characters are Zoe and Max who start the book as married, trying to have a baby but encountering numerous  problems. Eventually they split  up and both seem to hit rock bottom and then each character finds strength from other relationships.

When they remember that they had three fertilized eggs still available for insemination a court battle ensues as to who should take custody of the eggs/pre-born children... 

Along the way there are a number of surprises but essentially I feel that the actual crux of the story, being the court case was rushed.

This novel illustrates a lot about preconceived notions from ministers to alcoholism to homosexuality and the question that I had to deal with is simply - what is your tolerance level? The beauty of Picoult's novels is that each chapter is usually told from a different character's point of view which is usually how your confusion comes in because you don't know which side is the one you're supporting!

Nevertheless this was a good read but definitely one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the references made by Zoe who is a music therapist as to how music can change your mood, day or life and how it can connect people. In fact I'm trying to read 12 new books this year but this book took me 2 and half months which is ridiculously long! So I'm going to have to read two books this month to make up for lost time *sigh*

If you're a first time reader if Jodi Picoult I do not recommend you read this as your first try as its likely to put you off her style which is in fact quite beautiful. Try The pact or 19 Minutes ... They are among my favorites!   

Maybe you should wait for the movie, I hear Ellen Degeneres is making the book a movie...

2 comments:

Bailey Schneider said...

It's so interesting... I tried to read a Jodi Picoult book and just couldn't get into it. My sister and mother are obsessed. Perhaps I need to try another one of her books.
What would you suggest as a first time JP reader?

Thanks for stopping by my blog ;-)

Much love, Bailey from Vanilla Blonde

Nats ~Coral Tinted Perceptions said...

Firstly, thank YOU for stopping by my blog :) You are my favourite blogger so I am literally jumping up and down with excitement that you read one of my posts!
Regarding JP - I would say 19 Minutes is brilliant and second to that is perhaps Salem Falls. Give them a try and let me know what you think! x