Wednesday 12 March 2014

Champagne and Roses

Marriage is not easy.

It's not all about champagne and roses. It's not what the movies make it to be but it is special - when it's right. 

As many of you may know, I am not married but I have had the pleasure/honour/joy/pride to watch one of the best marriages I know my entire life. Today my parents are celebrating their 31st wedding anniversary (read what I said about their 30th)  and while there are many couples surrounding them who are crumbling they are staying strong. 

I spend a lot of time with my parents, I've always been a homebody but I think it has allowed me the opportunity to see the makings of a marriage. 

My parents were 20 and 21 when they got married and while there were many doubters (as you can imagine) I can proudly say that now most people I know refer to my parents' marriage as the one they want to have. 

It's not because they drink champagne or that my dad sends my mom flowers every now and then but rather it's the fact that my mom can only drink my dad's tea. My dad's favourite meals can all be made by my mom. My mom has the ability to listen to the same stories my dad enjoys retelling without necessarily advising him that she already knows how it ends and my dad who would drive up and down within hours if my mom needed or even wanted something (big or small).


My parents are the High School Sweethearts we all hoped to be (when we're in High School) and the thing about them is they still walk around holding hands not to display PDA but rather to just be near one another. Their's is a marriage I hope for. I don't need the champagne and roses if I one day get what they get. 




Anyway, have an awesome day and I wish my parents the happiest wedding anniversary yet, I look forward to watching the next 31 years!


No comments: